- Privacy Statement
- Personal Information
Personal data is information about an identifiable individual. Personal data does not generally include business names and business contact information used in a commercial context.
You can use our website without disclosing your personal data. You are not required to provide personal information as a condition of using our website, except as may be necessary to provide you a product or service at your request.
When you visit our website, we collect technical data including the name of your internet service provider, the website that you used to link to our website, the websites that you visit from our website and your IP-Address.This data could possibly lead to your identification if combined with other information that would identify you, but we do not use it to do so. We do use the data from time to time for statistical purposes but maintain the anonymity of each individual user so that the person cannot be identified. Aggregated, statistical or de-identified data is not personal data.
- Consent to the Collection of Personal Information
In cases when personal information is provided to others to provide you products or services you have requested, or for other purposes you have authorized, we rely on technical and organizational means to assure that applicable data security regulations are followed.
- Collection of Personal Information
Generally, we only collect personal information when you provide it to us, through subscription, completion of forms or e-mails, as part of an order for products or services, inquiries or requests about materials being ordered and similar situations in which you have chosen to provide the information to us. If you do not want your personal information collected, do not provide it to us.
We may also collect personal data about you from our sales, advertising, and business partners. We may also collect data about you that is publicly available in online directories or other websites. If you interact with our website or other digital features, we may automatically collect technical data about you. This data may be combined and enriched with other identifiable information.
- Type of Personal Information Collected
a. Information You Provide To Us: You are able to enjoy our publications, take advantage of our promotions and visit many areas of our websites without providing us with any personal information. However, we do collect personal information in certain instances, such as when you:
1. Subscribe to one of our publications/newsletters;
2. Subscribe to one of our online newsletters, or register to participate in an online forum or community;
3. Submit content to one of our publications or on-line services, including posting comments and other user-generated content;
4. Respond to one of our polls or surveys; or
5. Contact our customer service department with an enquiry, comment or suggestion.
The information that you provide to us and that we collect or receive depends on your relationship with us and your interaction with the Services, but may include personal information such as your name, email address, year of birth, address, job title, telephone number or fax number.
b. Information Other People Provide About You: Through some features on our Services, certain promotions and on various portions of the websites and applications on which a link to this Privacy Notice appears, other people may be able to submit information about you to us. For example, someone might submit your name, mailing, email address, and/or other information in one of our online forums or blogs as part of user generated content. The types of personal information that people may submit about you at these pages may include your name, email address, contact information, and professional information in rare cases where these are material to the content. We do not use your personal information that we have received through other people for any other purpose unless you give us permission to do so.
c. Information We Obtain from Other Sources and Third Parties: We also receive information from you when you interact with our pages, groups, accounts, or posts on social media and other third-party platforms. This includes aggregate data on our followers, data regarding how you engage with our content (such as likes, comments, and shares) and profile information that is publicly shared.
d. Subscriptions: When you subscribe to one of our publications/newsletters, we may ask you to provide your name and email address for the purposes of fulfilling your subscription including optional offer of other products, programs or services that may be of interest.
e. Online Registration: You do not have to register to browse some areas of our Services. However, registration is required in some circumstances, such as to receive access to certain content, receive online newsletters, to participate in certain of our Services, such as a community forum. When you register, you may be asked for personal information such as your name, email address, and a username and password that you select. We collect the information we need to identify who you are, to evaluate your eligibility for and provide you with the Service or information you requested, to provide an interactive experience, deliver the product or service you have requested, to facilitate your participation in an online forum or community and, from time to time, to offer you products, programs, or services.
f. Public Forums, Community Area, Message Boards
Any information you disclose in public forums or community areas may become public information and be immediately accessible to other users, so it is important for you to carefully consider what, if any, personal information you reveal in these areas. We may decide to use online forum and community content to enhance our editorial, advertising, promotional and similar activities, conduct research and analytics, or enhance our Services and other offerings.
g. Optional Demographic and Preference Information
Occasionally, we may request demographic information (like your age or gender) and other preference information. In most instances, you do not have to provide us with this information to receive the publication, product, or service you have requested. We use this optional demographic and preference information to tailor or improve our publications, product, and service offerings, as well as for internal marketing research purposes.
h. Customer Service: When you call one of our customer service representatives, or email us with a comment or question, you may be asked for information that identifies you, such as your name, address, and telephone number, to help us promptly answer your question. We may retain this information to assist you in the future. We also may use your feedback, suggestions, and comments to monitor and/or improve our Services, publications, and our websites.
i. Website Information: Generally, you can visit our websites without telling us who you are or providing us with any personal information. We collect the IP (Internet protocol) addresses of all visitors to our websites and clickstream and other related information such as page requests, browser type, operating system and average time spent on our website. We use this information to monitor and improve our websites and Services.
j. Information We Collect Automatically: We, our partners, advertisers, advertising networks or other third-party service providers, as explained further in the “Cookies and Other Online Tracking Technologies” and “Third Party Websites and Advertisers” sections below, may also automatically collect certain non-personal information when you visit our web pages, open our emails, use our applications, subscriptions or otherwise use our Services. Such automatically collected information may include:
- The type of browser and operating system you are using.
- Your IP address or mobile device identifier.
- The domain name of your internet service provider.
- The date and time of a visit, information about the content you view and the features you access, the number of links you click within the website or applications, as well as your activity and behaviour on our websites or applications.
- Location-based information regarding the province, state, or country from which you accessed our Services.
- Information regarding the advertisements you have interacted with, viewed, or accessed, such as the number of times you view an advertisement.
- This data may be combined and linked with data from other sources. We may use this information to provide content, targeted advertising, or functionality or to measure and analyze ad performance on our Services or other websites or platforms.
- To fulfill requests for our publications, products, or Services, including to send you our newsletters, and to respond to inquiries about our Services and offerings.
- To provide you with the Services.
- To communicate with you, such as to notify you of new products and services, to fulfill a request by you for an online newsletter, or to contact you or respond to your inquiries.
- To improve the design and content of our Services, publications, and other offerings, enable us to customize your user experience, analyze site usage and offer you enhanced products, programs, or services.
- For analytics, internal business purposes, and product development purposes, developing new products and services and (where appropriate) to personalize offers that we make to you, including by tracking the online articles and digital content you may have accessed or viewed in our site.
- To comply with our legal obligations.
- In any other way as we may describe when you provide the information or otherwise at your direction or with your consent.
- As permitted by law, including for auditing, fraud, and security monitoring.
- Fulfil other related purposes to any of the above
- Basis of Processing Your Information
Our basis for processing the personal information collected about you are the following:
- To communicate adequately with you and to respond to your requests, we need to process information about you and therefore have a legitimate interest in processing this information.
- To engage in transactions with customers, suppliers, and business partners, and to process purchases and downloads of our products and services, we need to process information about you as necessary to enter into or perform a contract with you.
- We process personal information for marketing and sales activities based on your consent where so indicated on our sites at the time your personal information was collected, or further to our legitimate interest to market and promote our products and services.
- We rely on our legitimate interest to analyze, develop, improve, and optimize our sites, products and services, and to maintain the security of our sites, networks and systems.
- To comply with applicable laws and regulations, such as to comply with a subpoena or other legal process, or to process an opt-out request.
- Data Retention
We only retain personal data for as long as is necessary for us to render a service you have requested or to which you have given your consent, except where otherwise provided by law, example in connection with pending litigation.
- Sharing and Disclosure of Personal Information
The Company may share and disclose personal and technical data in the following circumstances:
a. We use third party service providers to assist in administering and providing the website and our Services to you. Providers assist us in data storage and security, website hosting, marketing, customer service, mailing, etc. Your personal data will not be passed by our service providers for use by third parties in any form whatsoever unless we have obtained your consent or are legally required to do so.
- If you choose to submit content (e.g., a “letter to our editors,” an online review, or a public comment), we may publish your name, screen name and other information you have provided to us. You hereby consent to this. Please see our Terms and Conditions for more information.
- When you request a magazine, service, or other product, we will share your information to the extent necessary to fulfill your request.
- We may disclose personal data when required by law, such as to respond to court orders, subpoenas, or other legal processes by authorities with jurisdiction.
- We may transfer or assign your personal data because of, or in connection of a merger, consolidation, change in control, transfer of assets, bankruptcy, reorganization, liquidation, or other business transaction.
- Data Storage
The database and its contents remain at our company and stay with data processors or servers acting on our behalf and responsible to us.
Some of this data may be stored or processed at computers located in other jurisdictions, such as the United States and Canada, whose data protection laws may differ from the jurisdiction in which you live. Subject to applicable laws in such other jurisdictions, we will ensure that appropriate protections are in place to require the data processor in that country to maintain protections on the data that are equivalent to those that apply in the country in which you live.
- Data Security
Our security procedures are continuously revised based on new technological developments.
That said, we advise that no method of electronic transmission or storage is 100% secure, and cannot guarantee absolute data security.
If you request that your personal information be deleted, or if your personal information becomes no longer relevant to our operations, we will erase it from our system within a reasonable timeframe.
11. Cookies and Similar Technologies
Cookies and similar technologies (like pixels tags and device identifiers) are used by the Company and our advertising technology partners, if any, to recognize you and/or your device(s) on, off and across different services and devices for the purposes specified in Sections 5 and 6 above.
Cookies are small text files that contain a string of characters and uniquely identify a browser on a device connected to the Internet. Any browser visiting our site will receive cookies from us. We also place cookies in your browser when you visit other sites that host our plugins or tags.
- Managing Cookie Preferences
If you are a visitor of our site, you can use our cookie preferences tool to opt out of cookies that are not required to enable core site functionality, such as advertising and functional cookies.
You can also access the opt-out tool to opt out of interest-based advertising by the Company and other participating advertising technology companies serving interest-related ads to you on our behalf. Please note that the opt-out tool will only work on the Internet browser on which they are deposited, and they will only function only if your browser is set to accept third-party cookies.
If you do not want to receive cookies, you can also change your browser settings on your computer or other device you are using to access our services. Most browsers also provide functionality that lets you review and erase cookies, including our cookies.
- Third Party Websites and Advertisers
Our website and mobile application may provide links to third party websites. The inclusion of any link does not imply our endorsement of any other company, its websites, or its products and/or services. These linked websites have separate and independent privacy policies, which we recommend you read carefully. We have no control over such websites and therefore have no responsibility or liability for the way the organizations that operate such linked websites may collect, use, disclose or otherwise treat your personal information.
Our website and mobile application may use reputable third parties to present or serve the advertisements that you may see at its web pages and to conduct research about the advertisements. This Privacy Notice does not cover any use of personal information that such third parties may have collected from you or the methods used by the third parties to collect that information.
Our analytics, for advertising and other purposes, is based on technical or other anonymous or aggregate information. You may delete or opt-out of this anonymous tracking and analysis at any time by altering your cookie settings and/or deleting cookies.
If you opted-in, we may collect certain information from you, including demographic, profile, region, contact, preference information. This information may be combined with technical data collected via cookies. Together, we may use this data to target advertisements to ranges of groups and demographics, using a third-party service provider, such as Google DoubleClick.
If you opted-in, we may share aggregated sets of data to a third party to assist in providing ads we feel may be relevant to you on third party sites. We do not share personal information to third parties for advertising, or for their own use. You may control your preferences or revoke consent to future participation in these analytics or marketing programs at any time.
Although it is our hope that you find the display of advertising to you based on your browsing interests valuable, if you no longer wish to participate in the services offered through these solutions, you can opt-out of this activity by visiting the:
Google DoubleClick: https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout/
Network Advertising Initiative at http://www.networkadvertising.org/choices/, and
Digital Advertising Association of Canada at http://youradchoices.ca/choices/.
- User Privacy Rights
With respect to the personal information that we process about you, you may choose to:
- Opt-out of our use or sharing of your personal information. You may withdraw consent you have previously provided for the processing of information about you, including for email marketing, if any, by the Company.
- Delete personal information. You can ask us to erase or delete all or some of the information about you.
- Change or correct personal information. You can edit some of the information about you by. You can also ask us to change, update or fix information about you in certain cases, particularly if it is inaccurate.
- Object to, or limit or restrict use of personal information. You can ask us to stop using all or some of the information about you (for example, if we have no legal right to keep using it) or to limit our use of it (for example, if the information about you is inaccurate).
- Right to access and/or have your information provided to you. You can also ask us for a copy of information about you and can ask for a copy of information about you provided in machine readable form if you reside in the EU, California or other jurisdiction that provides you this right as a matter of law.
To exercise any of these options, send us an email at: [email protected]
Our Services are not intended for use by children, especially those under the age of 18, and we do not knowingly collect personal information from children under the age of 18. If you are a parent or guardian and believe we have collected information from your child, please contact us at: [email protected].
- Rights under the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA)
If you are a California resident, you may request that we:
- disclose to you the following information covering the 12 months preceding your request:
- the categories and specific pieces of personal information we collected about you and the categories of personal information we sold.
- the categories of sources from which we collected such personal information.
- the business or commercial purpose for collecting or selling personal information about you, and
- the categories of third parties to whom we sold or otherwise disclosed personal information.
- delete personal information we collected from you.
- opt-out of any future sale of personal information about you.
- We will respond to your request consistent with applicable law.
If you are a California resident, you may obtain information about exercising your rights, as described above, by contacting us at __________________.
- Data Protection Officer
Written inquiries to the Data Protection Officer may be addressed to:
Data Protection Officer
Email: [email protected].
19. Limits of our policy
Our website may link to external sites that are not operated by us. Please be aware that we have no control over the content and policies of those sites, and cannot accept responsibility or liability for their respective privacy practices.
20. Contact Us